I thought this article from the Barna Group was interesting and a worthwhile read. They discuss the 6 reoccurring themes within Christianity that emerged from their research in 2010.
1. The Christian Church is becoming less theologically literate.
2. Christians are becoming more ingrown and less outreach-oriented.
3. Growing numbers of people are less interested in spiritual principles and more desirous of learning pragmatic solutions for life.
4. Among Christians, interest in participating in community action is escalating.
5. The postmodern insistence on tolerance is winning over the Christian Church.
6. The influence of Christianity on culture and individual lives is largely invisible.
I view most of these themes as negatives and find them to be a cause for concern. But other may have a different view of them.